It’s hard to know what’s going to amuse a baby. Sometimes, they’ll act upset no matter what you do. Other times, they’ll be amazed by the simplest things. Just be careful what you entertain them with. Babies are very fragile.
On December 8, 2017, a maid in Singapore tried to entertain a 7-month-old baby named Masha by shaking a thermal flask. Yet she didn’t realize that the flask wasn’t closed all the way, and boiling water started spilling out. The water scalded Masha’s right arm and she cried.
“Blisters were already starting to form on her pink skin,” Masha’s mother, Jinghan Naan, wrote in a Facebook post.
Yesterday, Masha got scalded with boiling water on her right arm.Our new helper had just filled up the thermos when…
The baby’s father, Aizat, quickly reacted by pouring cold water over the burn. The maid wanted to console Masha but was worried about making direct contact with her.
She apologized to everyone in the house before Masha’s parents took her to the hospital. Some were quick to accept her apology, but Jinghan was still upset.
“I never said a word to her but I was furious,” she explained.
“Hateful and spiteful thoughts filled my mind. Somehow, it irked me that Aizat and his siblings were being so cheery and smiley in order to distract Masha’s attention away from the burns.”
Jinghan was silent on the ride over. Aizat explained “It was an accident boop” to try to break the tension, yet his wife didn’t respond. When they got to the hospital, her irritation continued to grow.
“It broke my heart to hear Masha’s cries as they dressed her wound,”Jinghan wrote. “My rage grew; my baby was suffering unnecessarily because of the helper’s carelessness.”
When they returned to the car, Masha was so exhausted, she collapsed onto her papa’s shoulder. She had cried so much her eyes were swollen and red. Aizat began to speak again and Jinghan assumed she knew what he was going to say.
“Later when we go back . . .” he started.
“Yeah. We’re going to send her (the maid) back. She’s fired,” Jinghan interrupted.
Yet that’s not what Aizat was about to say. He clarified, “Later when we go back, ask if she is ok.”
Jinghan couldn’t believe what she was hearing! She sat in shock for a few seconds while her husband explained:
“The water probably spilled on her as well. We didn’t even bother to ask if she was ok.”
Yet Jinghan didn’t see it that way. If it weren’t for the maid, Masha never would have been injured.
“But this is her fault!” she rebutted.
“Yeah, but she’s human too,” Aizat responded.
That’s when Jinghan realized her mistakes. She always thought of herself as more compassionate and patient than her husband but in that moment, she had neglected to show concern for her helper.
The maid had only been working for them for one week, so she was still getting into the swing of things. She had made a big mistake, but not as unforgivable as Jinghan once thought.
“I fooled myself into thinking that how I acted when times were easy was a testament to my faith and character. I couldn’t be more wrong,” Jinghan regretfully expressed.
“…This has served as a huge lesson for me. I hope that by sharing this, we can all practice more magnanimity, patience and compassion in the most trying of times.”
Jinghan cleared up a lot of the details in a recent update.
According to her post, Masha is making a quick recovery, although she is still unable to swim, and the maid is still working for the family.
It’s good to hear that everything worked out in the end. It seems like everyone learned a lot from the experience. Hopefully the maid will be able to avoid making such mistakes in the future but, if she does, she knows that Jinghan can understand and forgive.